In a few months New Zealand will be teeming with the future legends of football, as seven cities including Auckland, Dunedin and Christchurch play host to the FIFA 2015 U-20 World Cup from May 30 to June 20, 2015.
Kicking off proceedings in Group A are host New Zealand versus Ukraine, while Myanmar face USA. The same day sees Group B go head to head: Argentina play Panama and Austria will play CAF3, which includes West African countries Ghana, Ivory Coast, Niger and Nigeria.
The following day sees matches between previous winners Portugal, Mexico, Colombia and the return of Qatar, who have been absent from the games for 20 years.
Held every two years since 1977, this global tournament showcases the hottest young stars in men’s football less than 20 years of age, having already launched the careers of football legends Messi, Maradona and Ronaldinho. With representatives from 24 teams around the world, the Cup is sure to be a cracker. Tickets are now on sale through
Ticketek with 52 games being played in some of the best stadiums across New Zealand.
For sport lovers and travel enthusiasts, this is a fantastic opportunity to see some of tomorrow’s sports stars in action while taking in the beauty of New Zealand. Accommodation options abound from hotels and serviced apartments near the venues to bed and breakfast and farm stays on the outskirts of cities. It’s safe to say the popularity of the U-20 World Cup will mean most lodging options will have limited availability and an increased price tag, so you might consider hiring a campervan instead.
Campervans are great alternatives to hotels or other accommodation options as they are not only a comfortable place to stay but also provide the flexibility to travel around to a few or all the host cities during the three weeks of competition without having to book separately each night. Hiring a Mighty campervan means you don’t have to unpack more than once or set foot on a plane, and with access to caravan parks near all the world cup venues, you’ll have the freedom and flexibility to see all the games you want while still being kind to your wallet. The 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup game times range from family-friendly afternoon kick offs to atmospheric evening games, so in between cheering on your favourite team, you can kick back and relax in your campervan not too far from the stadium.
On the North Island, pick up your Mighty campervan and kick off the games in
Auckland or if you’re on the South Island, Mighty has locations in
Settle in at these caravan sites near the 2015 U-20 World Cup game stadiums:
Auckland – North Harbour Stadium (9 games)
• Takapuna Beach Holiday Park located 11km south of the stadium, with a peaceful beachside location. Facilities include a communal kitchen, BBQ’s, bathrooms, wireless and even access to PC’s and Skype. Powered sites start at just $42 for a night’s stay for two, with slightly higher fees for a waterfront location.
• Western Park Village is located in Swanson, about 23km southwest of the stadium and offers a village setting with access to showers, laundry, computers, and well-equipped kitchen. Weekly rental is available for about $30 per night.
Dunedin – Otago Stadium (7 games)
• Leith Valley Touring Park is located just 3.5km northwest of Otago stadium. In addition to the standard laundry, kitchen, and shower facilities, here you will also find a TV lounge, playground, pool table and library. A powered site for two will set you back about $38 per night.
• Dunedin Holiday Park is close to the Otago Peninsula about 6 km south of the stadium. Facilities include large modern kitchen and laundry, as well as a playground, internet access, TV room and BBQ area. A powered site is just $26 per night for up to 10 people.
New Plymouth – Stadium Taranaki (6 games)
• Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park New Plymouth is located 4.5km north of the stadium a short 10 minute drive or an easy 30 minute walk away. Powered sites are available with breathtaking ocean views, and communal facilities include showers, kitchens, laundry and internet kiosks as well as a children’s playground. Cost is $23 per adult per night with up to seven people allowed per site.
• Top 10 Holiday Park is located about 5.5 km northeast of the stadium and boast tree lined sites with views of Mt. Taranaki. Large communal kitchens, laundry, internet and dining facilities provide access to the usual modern amenities and the playground, heated pool and spa makes the site a great place for a family holiday. Powered sites cost as little as $52 per night.
Whangarei – Northland Events Centre (4 games)
• Whangarei Central Holiday Park is a short 1.5 km northwest of the stadium, about 20 minutes on foot and easy distance to the shops and restaurants of town centre. Facilities include modern communal kitchen, bathroom, laundries, computer and Skype facilities as well as a kids’ playground. Powered sites amongst the willow trees start at $17 per person with a maximum of 6 people per site. Christchurch – Christchurch Stadium (9 games)
• Amber Kiwi holiday Park is a small inner city caravan park just under 3 km away from the stadium. Facilities include two communal kitchens, laundry, internet facilities, male and female shower facilities, as well as a play area. Powered sites are available for $46 per night for two people.
Hamilton – Waikato Stadium (8 games)
• Hamilton City Holiday Park is just under 4 km from the stadium and able to cater for large family groups. Standard facilities including communal kitchen, laundry, showers, and eating areas as well as access to internet are provided. Powered sites start from $38 per night for two people.
Wellington – Wellington Regional Stadium (9 games)
• Wellington Top 10 Holiday Park is located just around the bay, about 13.5 km from the stadium with shuttles and public transport at your doorstep. Facilities include shared laundry, kitchen, showers, as well as a games room and Sky TV. Over 100 powered sites are available starting at $45 per night for two people.
For more information on the FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand head to the
official FIFA World Cup website.
To book a Mighty Campervan head to our
campervan booking page.